Sunday, October 28, 2012

Spectator Point of View

On this final off weekend before our championship meet I found myself not at a sporting event as an athlete, but as a spectator.  I wasn't watching a cross country race, nor was I watching my beloved football, or a hockey game: I was watching my very first water polo match! On Saturday, Mercyhurst beat Gannon 18-5 in the second game of the title contest for the 2012 Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) Division II Eastern Championship- defending their title from last year.  It was awesome to view a new sport and watch such a great team.  I have total respect for the water polo team: swimming back and forth back and forth, treading water, shooting a ball with soccer-like speed etc. Though I was confused for a good amount of time on why the refs blew their whistles when they did, and all the specific rules, I was completely wrapped up in the game.  I love my sport, I love competing, but sometimes it is refreshing to sit back and just become a spectator for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment